Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

No Regrets - a song by Gary Bryan

No Regrets (unfinished song)
by Gary Bryan

Written in about 1972
Never wrote a chorus

With no regrets,
Or second thoughts,
My mind's too numb to grieve,
My heart is set,

The ticket's bought,
It's time to leave,

Like rising smoke,
Is disappearing,
So my plans did fade,
Like a circus clown,
With a smiling frown,
I marched in your parade,

For years I've thought,
About this day,
And how that you might act,
On finding that,
I've gone away,
And never coming back,


Note: I've come to believe that there are often regrets but they are delayed. The problem with the song is that the writer feels that his conscience is clear because he has "no regrets".  Not enough time has passed to have regrets if he is in the middle of making a decision.  He talks about 'the ticket's bought' and 'this day' so it is in present time. While a person is making decisions it doesn't make sense to have regrets - although I've heard many people say "I might regret this later, but ...". That seems to indicate that sometimes people knowingly make decisions that they will regret someday. That would probably be most of us.


No comments: